Sunday 7 October 2012

Intercultural Communication

Regardless of whether we consider the domain of a workplace or an informal setting like a party, intercultural communication is of utmost importance. In this age of globalization, meeting individuals from different cultures  is quite common. The world is indeed becoming "flat" as Thomas L. Friedman proposed in his best-selling novel. Studying in an international university such as NUS  and working in  Asia's largest business and services hub makes it imperative to master the art of successful intercultural communication. In this post, I recount my beginning as an intercultural communicator and what experience at NUS has taught me.

I came to Singapore last year to pursue my undergraduate education at NUS. In my first few days, I was careful about being sensitive to the customs and practices of different cultures in Singapore. I realized that it is only through a proper understanding and appreciation of different cultures can one truly be a global citizen.

Cuisine is an important part of culture and I made it a point to try out Laksa, Chicken Rice, Mee Goreng and other local delicacies. It is virtually impossible to survive and grow accustomed to a foreign country without trying out the local cuisine. In settings such as the office of a Multi-National Corporation(MNC) it is important to show one's awareness and appreciation for the customs of different colleagues/superiors. Cuisine is one of the best ways to show it because bonding between colleagues/team-members happens during social settings during group meals/drinks.

When I came to Singapore, I did not have an idea of the Singaporean education system comprising schools, JCs and Polytechnics. While interacting with local students it appears insensitive to keep asking questions about their high school system. A little bit of awareness and understanding goes a long way in forging relationships and establishing trust. I took time to understand the system and it's workings so I have a basic understanding of the Singaporean system and this aided by initial interactions immensely. I also learnt to be patient and lucid in answering questions about the Indian education system and admission policies to NUS. This facilitated a better exchange of information and helped me forge friendships in the first few days of school.

Speaking at a pace that is comfortable for both parties is also important. Throughout the course of my first year at NUS I have realized that it is impolite to speak fast when talking to non-native English speakers. This has enabled me to be more sensitive to my peers and also aided effective understanding and communication.

I believe intercultural communication skills are improved through practice. Only by practicing more and more can we hone our skills and prepare ourselves for the modern world. 

12 comments:

  1. Hi Rohit,

    I agree that cuisine is one of the most important factors of a culture. One has to familiar himself to the local cuisine in order to settle a long-time living in a foreign country.
    I find local cuisine in Singapore fresh and tasty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Rohit,

    After reading your blog post, I realized that for this round of blog post, I merely talked about my experience and did not highlight the importance of intercultural communication, which was supposed to be the main take away point. Rather, I find this key point being prominently highlighted and well explained in your blog post. Great work!

    I always discover new perspectives in looking at things after reading your blog post. From the music aspect in your 1st blog post, to cuisines and the pace of speech in this blog post, I must say, you are a very creative individual! I am glad that you took the effort to try and localize into our Singapore context, and understanding our food is truly one of the many ways to understand our culture. Do come over to Market 85 in Bedok to try out the famous Sambal Stingray, Minced Meat Noodle and Tang Yuan. They are awesome!

    I also do agree that the deliberation in changing our pace of speech is an acknowledgement of respect to others so that others can understand what we are trying to convey.

    Hopefully, being in Singapore where there is a great mix of cultures and traditions, would set us at an advantage in coping with intercultural communication difficulties when we are out working in the future!

    Shiying

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Rohit,

    I agree with you that intercultural communication is increasingly an important soft skills that is needed in our globalised community especially so in Singapore. I think you did a great job in trying to understand the local culture and it appears that you are adapting well.

    I think that adjusting to the local context and trying out new cuisine can be a great tool for starting a communication. You display a willingness to learn while remain flexible in your dealings with people.

    One point I differ from you is that I do not think intercultural communication can be practised. I feel that you need to feel and experience the culture yourself. Only when you immerse yourself with the culture can you appreciate and express it naturally. This is my take and I could be wrong.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do agree with your point but the best way of learning is by practicing in a safe environment such as a classroom or a peer group and understanding more using non-threatening questions

      Delete
  4. Hi Rohit,

    I like the way you described how you have immersed yourself in Singapore's culture through your experiences in school and the cuisine. I think food, regardless of which culture you come from, really touches the hearts of many people because both Thao and Shiying mentioned it in their comments and so have I now. Somehow I feel that the food replicated in places outside of your hometown never tastes as good as what you get at home.

    Until the conversation we had the other day regarding the education system, I have always assumed it to be very similar in India and Singapore because we were colonised under the same rule. Apparently, I was wrong and I'm glad I am aware of the differences now.

    I would agree with Bernard that it is through being immersed in the culture where we can truly experience, learn and embrace another culture. However, I believe having the awareness of how we can communicate the ideas about our culture or another culture is also crucial for us to express ourselves well. And as what you mentioned, this can be achieved through more practice and exposure to other cultures. Very often, we are subconsciously aware of the importance of verbal and non-verbal communication but we do not internalise it because it seems obvious.

    This aside, I hope you have fun at David Guetta's concert!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you guys! Ronald, I did enjoy the concert!

      Delete
  5. Hi Rohit,

    Food is definitely one of Singaporeans' topic of discussion. Singapore is certainly blessed with multi-cultural society which brought their own versions of food. Thus, I am glad to read about your observation on the your cultural experience with Singapore's foods.

    I am quite surprised to learn that the locals are quite sensitive about the issue of their education system. I found out that they are often proud of their education system although of course some of them have their own private criticisms of the system. Perhaps you have touched upon the sensitive topic about the quality between JC, polytechnic and ITE that you asked me last time. Indeed that topic appears a bit insensitive since it highlights the lack of equality in academic achievement in Singapore very competitive education system.

    It is heartening though that you quickly do research about the education system in Singapore to improve your understanding about the educational culture here. Often misunderstanding arises from lack of knowledge and it is good to see that you are taking an effort to mitigate the problem.

    Thanks and enjoy your time in Singapore!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Rohit

    Thanks for bringing up a different perspective to this topic. Every blog post on this topic seems to prop up a different perspective. Cuisine is a very important part of culture, I agree. Personally, I have never had any intercultural conflict with any person till date. This is because I have always discussed non-sensitive topics and had detached relationships. But I guess, conversations with people would be more fun if I felt a part of their culture. To feel a part of somebody else's culture, food, fashion etc play a crucial role. But, I am in a fix. I hail from a culture that demands me to be a vegetarian and I haven't found any vegetarian food in Singapore. If we respect every culture, it would most certainly make each one of us a well rounded personality. Thanks for a fine post :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks, Rohit, for providing "three for the price of one" in this post. While the assignment calls for describing an intercultural scenario that you have directly observed and interpreting that, you have presented three aspects of the local scene that have caught your attention: cuisine, the education system and the fact that there are quite a few non-native speakers of English out and about with whom you need to speak slowly. Clearly, in all of these areas you've informed yourself.

    Thanks for the effort!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks again for a well written post! Like Brad says you have three in one and how you make the flow between those three is really well done. Still I wish i got more of an specific episode you experienced - maybe I want that since I have seen how poetic you are from the first blog post. But that is just mine opinion, a blog becomes so much more interesting for me when its kind of storytelling aura over it. Even so, you write pretty well something I have said from the beginning and I'm really looking forward to your last blog post to see how you you have experienced you presentation and year, also looking forward to your presentation.

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete